Wednesday, October 1, 2008

TBS Tries Baseball, Fails!

So I turn on Game 1 on the MLB postseason today to watch the Phillies and Brewers and see the newest of the garbage coverage we now have for sports on TV. David Aldridge is on the field interviewing Cole Hamels, which wouldn't be bad if it were a Sixers-Buck game, but it is not! David Aldridge is known for being one of the top NBA guys at ESPN. He even admittedly said on PTI yesterday that he felt uncomfortable doing baseball. This was their first choice?

So then after a very unprepared and awkward interview Aldridge throws it back to the TBS studio, to…Ernie Johnson??? Suddenly we can’t find any baseball minds? Wasn’t this the sport once known as America’s Pastime? The first 2 guys I see are basketball guys. The guests in studio must be better, right? Not a chance!

Dennis Eckersley and Cal Ripkin Jr. are both outstanding players and no question they are on my all-time team for their respective positions, but they bring nothing to the studio except the same style and wardrobe that Eckersley had for the A’s in the 80’s. I was somewhat hoping that the Team Turner would have just stayed with their NBA studio crew. Magic would appeal to the LA audiences for both the Dodgers and the Angles. Barkley would at least be honest with his opinions, rather then sugarcoating everything like Curtis Granderson (the 3rd member of this stellar studio crew) because he still plays and is “boys” with the players. With the TNT NBA crew in studio it would be much more lively and entertaining and probably just as insightful, as Eck saying, “CC Sabithia will be fine on 3 days rest again because he has broad shoulders.”

WHAT?!

If that isn’t bad enough, TBS has also employed Craig Sager, TNT’s top NBA sideline reporter and Ron Darling. The same Ron Darling that was SO talented doing baseball analysis that after one season working for the local telecast of the Washington National in 2005, he was not asked back for the following season. He can’t hold a local job, covering a terrible team, so TBS gives him the MLB playoffs, GENIUS!

I love baseball. By far my absolute favorite professional sport, and this is what I have to go through to watch good baseball. It is not bad enough that I have to sit through Pirates baseball for 162 games, but now when I do get to see good baseball I have to deal with these schmucks ruining it for me. I never thought I’d utter these words, but I can’t wait for FOX to pick up the games so I can hear, ugh, Joe Buck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In their defense they do have Tony Gwynn doing color. One of the best color guys in the game.. BUT, they don't have him covering his son (Brewers). Who was the genious at TBS that missed that one!? Probablly the same asshole who married Jane Fonda and is bank rolling Obamamania.

Anonymous said...

It was probably the same genius who told McCain to sell out all of his core beleifs to the nut job radical republicans.